Just Add Water – Clay Marzo – Surf Movie
Clay Marzo’s Just Add Water
Produced and Directed by Strider Wasilewski and Jamie Tierney.
With support from Quiksilver.
Length: 48 minutes
I’ve been sitting on this movie for a while, not really sure what to say about it.
This movie attempts to be three different things:
- Your typical surf video with insane surfing. Clay is a machine.
- An aspergers documentary. Interviews with the doctors are well done.
- A documentary on Clay’s life.
The movie does all 3 successfully… but it suffers from trying to do too many things at once and you’re left with the feeling that each part could have been much better had it had been done separately.
Obviously, Clay’s surfing is insane, I love watching him, and the movie is amazingly well produced and edited, everything about it is top notch… I just feel like clay needs 3 hours worth of movie to do him justice.
Clay meets Kelly on Tavarua and they both score perfect Cloudbreak. There’s also some footage of Clay ripping 2 foot, onshore Cloudbreak and it makes you realize that Clay is the kind of surfer that is fun to watch no matter what wave he’s riding. Next up is a pumping Maui lefthander, Clay’s local spot. It’s such a fun looking, heavy wave, I think we’ll be seeing more of it for sure. The Teahupoo section near the end is also great, Clay tows into one of the deepest longest barrels I’ve seen there, and then there’s plenty of good paddle footage of him and the boys.
- Dane Reynolds explaining how he looks like an old man surfing with Clay.
- Clay Marzo’s water mic audio, talking to himself while getting shacked.
- Getting excited over two things in the world, sick lefts, and food. Minute long montaj in the credits of clay grinding food.
- Surfers Healing, Clay riding tandem with kids at Malibu.
- Laird Hamilton scrubbing Clay’s reef cuts with lime in Tahiti.
- In memory of Ron Cassidy, great clip of a barrel he gets.
Surfers: Clay Marzo, Kelly Slater, Dane Reynolds, Ry Craike, Dusty Payne, Wes Larsen, Kevin Sullivan, Alicia Yamada, Raimana Van Bastolaer, Danny Fuller, Jamie O’Brien, Gabriel Villaran, Strider Wasilewski
Interviews: Clay Marzo, Jill Marzo, Gino Marzo, Kelly Slater, Dane Reynolds, Ry Craike, Andy Irons, Jeremy Flores, Mark Occhilupo, Tom Curren, Jake Paterson, CJ Hobgood, Fred Matacchia, Dr. Tony Attwood, Dr. Chitra Bhakta, Granger Larsen, Adam Klevin, Alicia Yamada, Martin Potter, Chad Wells, Craig Nicholls, Hamish Rosser, Israel Paskowitz.
Music: The Album Leaf, Cornelius, Pinback, Chromeo, Girls in Hawaii, Red-Eyed Legends, The Beastie Boys, Sea Wolf, Jose Gonzalez, Cineplexx, Snowden, MGMT, The Accidental, The Vines, …And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, Youth Group.
Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars
Bottom line: Treat this as a documentary about Clay and you’ll be stoked. The surf footage will be icing on the cake.
Where to buy: Support your local surf shop!
Kooks buy it here (We’ll still love you): Clay Marzo – Just Add Water